My friend Isa is modeling for the first of my three figure drawings- lounging.
I felt a little nervous and too eager to show her a good drawing even as I started out and opted for a pencil drawing on A2. Unfortunately I had the eraser ready as well and the whole got as cramped and stiff as I felt:
Also I did not use the whole of the page, the drawing looks better cropped:
( I did some 2 minute prep sketches but left them behind in my sketchbook in Indonesia and already landed in Portugal again..)
Here I try one more time from a picture I took during the first session- this time with Conte sticks, A2:
I am still unsatisfied with this drawing, the bottom half works well but the upper bent arm and the head are not right.
For the drawing of a seated figure, I am drawing my dad reading on the sofa.
This time I chose coloured pencils on A2 and hid the eraser well. I focused on holding the pencils lightly and only scribble light marks over and over again. Also I started by imagining the skeleton and actually made use of what I learnt from the last exercise.
2 min sketches:
A2, about one hour:
The proportions are not perfect, but I am really happy that I managed to keep the light scribbly marks flowing and that I tackled the crosslegged pose which I found tricky. Here too, the figure is a little too small on the page- I just have to get used to drawing on bigger paper! But here it disturbs me less than above as you can imagine the living room around. Also I captured my fathers expression.
For the standing pose, I chose to work from a picture I took of my partner Andre when sketching some poses that I posted in the “Sketchbook pages”. This is a pose I have tried to draw correctly several times. The slightly forward bent posture and sloping shoulders is really tricky.
These are some of my old sketchbook trials:
Now I draw in blue ink on A2:
I think I finally captured the pose, and am happy with the scribbly markmaking. But then I decided to add some water with a small brush for the shading:
I regretted this- I preferred the scribbly marks. I am also VERY disappointed in my expensive aquarell papaer that still got wobbly.
Then I tried to fill in the background with solid blue ink:
The figure started out with standing under a lamp, and now looks like it is standing at the edge of a precipice. I am unhappy with the uneven background though, so decided to experiment with some bleach:
Now the background got more interesting. I added sprinkles of bleach and turquoise ink.
Then I redrew the darkest shadows of the figure. This is very different from what I had in mind when I started, so it was a fun experiment just going with “the happy accident”.
I feel like the last exercises of the underlying structure have helped me improve somewhat my sense of proportion.